So, Friday the Divergent movie was released in theaters! I haven't seen it! In other news it was my older brothers 19th birthday! This brother also happens to be my best buddy, my critic partner and occasionally my punching bag, so of course I made him a birthday cake! I don't know if you know this about me, but I kinda love baking, cookies, mainly, but I am branching out. Now one thing about my baking is that my, other, brother has diabetes and so everything I make is sugar-free. The cake I made is a double layer chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, chocolate mousse, strawberries and peaches, I am calling it the chocolate strawberry peach monstrosity or the chocotrosity! So I was on twitter seeing all these things about Divergent and decided my cake is a Dauntless cake!
Now every Friday I will make a new pastry/cake/cookies/something of some kind and post the recipe here, and maybe I will match it with books! I will leave links to the websites where I originally get the recipe from and then the actual recipe with whatever changes I made to it and most importantly Pictures!
Cake - Click Here For Orginal Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Coat two 8-inch cake pans with nonfat cooking spray. Dust with flour.
COMBINE flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Beat butter in large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking; beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla extract; mix until blended.
COMBINE water and milk in medium bowl.
ADD 1/2 of the flour mixture and mix at low speed until well blended. Add water and milk; mix at low speed until well blended. Add remaining flour mixture and beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pans.
BAKE for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
The Frosting - Click Here For Orginal Recipe
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon liquid Chocolate stevia
- ¼ cup softened butter
- In a stand mixer add whipping cream and vanilla extract.
- Beat on medium high speed until thickened. Set aside.
- In a microwaveable bowl melt chocolate and coconut oil together for 1 minute, stir and continue to melt in 1 minute intervals until fully melted.
- Whisk cocoa powder and chocolate stevia into melted chocolate.
- Stir softened butter into chocolate mixture.
- Add chocolate mixture to whipped cream and blend until incorporated.
- Refrigerate until set, about an hour.
Changes I Made -
- First of all I doubled it to make sure there was enough to cover my whole cake
- I added an extra teaspoon of Vanilla - because I always add extra vanilla
- And I added 2 Teaspons of unflavored liquid Stevia because the chocolate flavoring was a little bitter.
The Mousse - I improvised! I looked at a few different recipes and then kinda just winged it.
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Chocolate Chips
- Coconut Oil
- Powdered Sugar - To make sugar-free click here
Now basically you
- Melt Chocolate Chips in microwave with a tablespoon of Coconut Oil
- Whip heavy cream with an electric mixer until peaks form
- Add in the melted chocolate and powered sugar - mix well
- Dice up Strawberries - As many as you want - and fold in
- chill until served
For the peach topping I was going to use fresh peaches in a peach glaze but I couldn't find fresh peaches and so I used pie topping! It tasted delicious though! The only problem is the peaches like to slide down the sides! =)