Better Off Friends
by Elizabeth Eulberg
Release Date -
E-Arc provided by publisher through Netgalley
For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.
Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t keep getting in each other’s way. Guys won’t ask Macallan out because they think she’s with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can’t help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?
From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again — and one kiss away from true love?
My Rating - 5 Stars
I'm going to keep this short and sweet, I loved it, that's all.
No seriously, though, I really really enjoyed this book, it was sweet and a perfect contemporary. It's about two best friends, how they meet, how they become best friends, and how they struggle to remain best friends over the course of about six years, through the ups and downs of dating and growing up and boyfriends and girlfriends and football, it's about how through it all they just want to have each other in their lives.
- Macallan - I loved Macallan so much. She's not a girly girl, but she's not a giant tomboy, she's loyal to her friends and she loves to cook and she just wants to be with her family. I loved seeing over the years how she learns from her mom's death and learns to cope and how she grows, but of course my favorite thing was her relationship with Levi. I also loved how she stuck up for herself and didn't let anyone get to her, the best moment's were the ones where she's defending her uncle or punching a jock in the face.
- Levi - He's the new boy in school who Macallan gets tricked into showing around, all he wants is to be part of a team, one of the guys, but first he meets Macallan and they become the best friend kind of soul mates and he promises to always be there for her. While he definitely had his stupid boy moments I loved his character, he was sweet and I loved that he was the one who struggled and wanted to fit in where normally it would be the girl character, while Macallan knew who she was, didn't care what anybody thought and was fine the way she is. Again I loved seeing him grow up over the course of the book and learn that being one of guys wasn't the only thing in the world to be.
-Their relationship - This was obviously the best part, the most important part, of this book. Watching them become best friends and struggle to stay best friends, it definitely had it's pulling on your heartstrings moments but I loved every minute of it. I loved that no matter what they always put each other first, except for a couple of their lower moments, and that no matter what they just wanted to have each other in their lives even if they couldn't say it.
- I loved how it was told, from alternating perspectives and over the course of about five or six years. It was fast paced and I never got bored.
- It was a bit predictable at moments but I mean it's a sweet and adorable contemporary, what else would you except from it?
- I don't know, I always feel like I'm lying when I can't come up with anything that I hated but there really wasn't anything that I hated about this book, you know?
Overall - I just loved/adored it. It's clean and just...great(this said in the Tony the Tiger voice). Definitely one of my favorite contemporaries and yeah, if you like contemporaries then pick this up already!
A Playlist -By now you may have noticed that I like making Playlists, especially playlists inspired by books and so...TaDa!
All of these songs in one way of another seem to just perfectly describe Macallan and Levi's story, to me at least.
P.S. Listen in order.
Don't Forget To Enter My Giveaway! For more info click here
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Follow my blog with Bloglovin