Song Of The Moment- Self Esteem by The Offspring
by Richelle Mead
Series: Vampire Academy Book #1
Release date: 2007
St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .
Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.
4 Stars - I really liked it.
Well, I assume most people know what Vampire Academy is...you know, there's vampires(or Moroi and Strigoi), their Guardians(Dhampir) who are half vampire, they go to an academy...there was a movie. A very funny movie. So, honestly, I am one of those people who hate Twilight and therefore basically never gave any vampire books a chance, but I thought the movie version of this was hilarious and so I bought the book and then I saw that a lot of my blogging friends love the series so I figured it was time to actually read it.
Basically, Rose, who is a half vampire otherwise known as Dhampir, and Lissa, a vampire otherwise known as a Moroi, are best friends. They basically grew up at the Academy and two years ago they ran away. Rose sees herself as Lissa(who is of the royal families aka a princess)'s guardian even though she hasn't technically been assigned it yet. (Dhampir train to become Guardians and are then assigned to Moroi to protect them.) They get caught and brought back to the academy and stuff happens. (Sadly, I feel like I'm getting better at my synopsis in reviews...which means they used to be really really bad).
Honestly, I really enjoyed this, I had some small problems and I didn't quite love it, but I really liked it.
A Few Of My Favorite Things:
- Rose. I loved Rose and I think she's a really great character. She's very badass, even though she's really behind on her training, and the best thing about her is she's the least selfish main character ever. Lissa always comes first for her and in no way does she resent that, she loves Lissa and would do anything for her and not just because that's going to be her job.
- The friendship. So, there is romance and I get the feeling, obviously, that it gets a little more front and center and important in later books, but in this one friendship comes first. It's not just Rose that will do anything for Lissa, she feels the same way. In ways they are complete opposites and in ways they are a hell of a lot alike, either way I loved them both and I love their friendship and that it's the most important relationship in the book.
- They history/world/things. I really like this take on vampires. They have magic, they don't sparkle, some are very very evil(and really, I want to know more about these), and yeah. I think it's really cool that they(the Moroi) can do magic, and the whole becoming Strigoi but I am a little confused on it all too because it doesn't take up a lot of space in the book. Again, the first in a series so I'm sure it's explained better later on!
A Few Of My Not So Favorite Things:
- Pacing. I'm trying to figure out what it is that annoyed me or whatever and how to word it but basically, it didn't feel like a ton happened in this book. I mean it is fairly short and just the beginning of the series soooo...but still, I didn't feel like a ton happened from beginning to end.
- It took some getting into. Basically, what I mean is I'd set the book down for the night or whatever and pick it up again the next day and instead of being immediately swooped up into the world and story it took me like 20 or 30 pages to get kind of absorbed in the story again.
Overall: I did really enjoy this book and I am definitely looking forward to the rest of the series because I get the feeling that this is one of those that only gets better the further in you get. The ending is probably usually a big surprise, like PLOT TWIST, unfortunately, I'd already seen the movie which, honestly, probably hindered my enjoyment of the book just a tad, my own fault but just so you know.
Would I Recommend This? Yes.
Who To? Paranormal fans, vampire fans who don't sparkle, people who like badass main characters.
Will I read more from this author(or series)? Yup. Already found the next to for like $2 at the used bookstore(score!).