For the sake of this post, I am using two characters, and they are the two main characters from my first camp novel, Ren&Farrah. Ren is 10, Farrah is 14, and they're sisters. They live in a renaissance faire, by the way, but it's set in real world and our time.
1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?
Ren: Old school, she loves chocolate.
Farrah: Likes to mix chocolate and strawberry.
2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?
Ren: Haha. She's ten, and lives at a renaissance faire... Basically, if she's going out, it's to snoop around the faire, if she has company it's invisible to everyone but her.
Farrah: She's much too good for that(read: she's angsty and likes to mope at night).
3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?
Ren: She's barefoot. Her feet are covered in dirt but no scratches, she has calluses developed from being barefoot all the time. She hates shoes but is fine with socks as long as they're brightly colored.
Farrah: Beat up sneakers. They clash with her princess dress, but she doesn't care. She hates her nice princess shoes on principal but actually hates the smelly sneakers that make her feet sweat.
4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
Ren: Ren has a small scar on her right hand, she got it from playing with a sharp sword.
Farrah: A small scar on her forehead, above her right eye, she got it when Ren was playing with a sharp sword... Haha. Joking... I think.
5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)
Ren: Um. Whatever the minstrels happen to be playing?
Farrah: She really loves folk music. Also, stuff like Riversong by Brunchville. Also, classical stuff.
6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
Ren: She played with the minstrels for a season but doesn't really have any sort of musical talent. Of course, when her and Farrah sing together for their performance at the end of the season, they sound amazing, only together though.
Farrah: She dances. And sings with Ren, only sometimes, not often anymore as she has that whole angsty teenage thing going on.
7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
Ren: The Knight's Guide To Slaying The Dragon? Something along those lines.
Farrah: Hmm. Probably...plays? Like Shakespear and whatnot.
8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
Ren: At the Ren Faire.
Farrah: That's faire season. She'd rather be at the beach or something though.
9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. Ex. If they’re eating
breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?
Ren: Ren's most likely running through the faire, probably on the hunt for some new magical creature, her wooden sword strapped to her side. Possibly hanging out with the knights.
Farrah: Farrah is probably sulking in the trailer, laying across the floor to try and keep cool, sipping lemonade and listening to music.
10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?
Ren: The real world.
Farrah: The faire.
I'm doing Camp this month and attempting a 60k in 5days challenge set forth by my brother. Here's my stats:
60k In 5days:
Day 1: 20,277
Day 2: 9,000
Day 3: 10, 543
Left To Go: 20,180
Today's day 4! And I'm procrastinating by writing this...
I'm over halfway through the week and over halfway there! Yay!
If you're linking up with Beautiful People please leave me links below and let me know if you're doing Camp this month/how your writing is going! If you aren't...tell me, who do you like better, Ren or Farrah?